New Soul

Are you familiar with the myers-briggs type indicator?

What type would the charaters in Tolkiens legendarium be according to this?

What do you think would Bilbo be?

I think that Sam could be ISFJ und Frodo INFP or INFJ (more INFP in the movie, more INFJ in the book). Could Gandalf be INTJ and Aragorn INFJ?

Lúthien
    <DIV =WebWizRTE leftmargin="1" topmargin="1" marginheight="1" marginwidth="1">Not at all familiar with this - please enlighten!
    Remembering halfir by learning more each day

New Soul

I think that Gandalf leans more towards ENTJ personally. Sam would probably be more INFJ. And Frodo more ESJF.
    Don't forget that the majority of the population leans more towards Extroverted than Introverted. I really don't think anyone in the fellowship is Introverted rather than extroverted.
    My degree is in Psychology and I'm getting my master's in Organizational Psychology so I work with the MBTI quite frequently. I'm an ENTJ in case you were curious.

Oh and BTW HI!!! I'm a new time member, long time Ringer. This post is actually the first one that really prompted me to post so thanks for that!!!

Emeritus
    Saranna: The MBTI is a personality assessment test created by Elizabeth Myers Briggs and her daughter during WW2. It is based upon Jungian principles. You can read about it herehttp://www.myersbriggs.org/It is used quite extensively by business organizations - particularly in terms of assessing individuals for jobs and promotion although a number of leading pysychologits have cast doubt both on its veracity and value. We used it in a major orgnization that I was previously involved in and I personally remain unconvinced as to its true value to the business world.
    He that would foil me must use such weapons as I do, for I have not fed my readers with straw, neither will I be confuted with stubble.

Lúthien
    <DIV =WebWizRTE leftmargin="1" topmargin="1" marginheight="1" marginwidth="1">Thank you halfir, that now rings a slight bell, I think I have come across debased versions of it in my professional career. Not something that I feel any great interest in, either.
    Remembering halfir by learning more each day

Counsellor of Imladris
    Without getting too deep in the Myers-Briggs profiles (and not having a degree in psychology Iwould bebound to get it wrong any way) -one can stillmake an interesting comparison between the hobbits.
    The Myers Brigscategoriesvery generally seem to deal with being either action or thought oriented,being more or less spontaneous or more or less concerned by others feelings etc...

I think that Pippin is the most extroverted of the four hobbits. He clearly enjoyed being the centre of attention in the Prancing Pony and is often spontaneous - or takes risks (e.g., dropping the stone into the well in Moria, making a diversion when captured by the orcs to leave atrail forAragorn to find) and also taking the palantir from Gandalf. Merry is more thoughtful and introverted (rather than join the company in the common room at Bree he went out to scout around -he had prepared all the ponies and supplies to leave Crickhollow - and he is the one who remembered the maps and knew the geography of Rohan when the two hobbits got separated from the Fellowship and formed acloser relationshipwith King Theoden). Sam is the practical one who likes lists and proverbs, and works his way through problems methodically, although he has a surprising sentimental side too (he is the most likely of the hobbits to cry ) and occasionally makes up poetry! Frodoseems to be more trusting and spontaneous - he just makes things up on the spur of the moment - he was just going to take the ring to Rivendell and see what happened (land also thespur of the moment capture of Gollum)and seems to live more in his own head wrapped up in his own feelings rather than worrying about what the others are feeling.

I don't know if anyone has thought of doing a "personality test" as Merry or Pippin ...? any takers?