New Soul
    Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum.

I have been searching for information concerning what the original illustrations to the LOTR books are. I have seen info here and there online indicating that Tolkein himself did some/all of the original illustrations. Any clue if this is true, or what edition these would be in?

Hugo Bracegirdle
    Hi, vainqueur; Welcome to the Plaza!

I'm not sure which illustrations you mean; apart from the maps, the only illustrations by Tolkien in the published LotR are the Doors of Moria, and the inscription on Balin's tomb. I guess the internet sources are referring to the many sketches made by Tolkien for his own use, while writing the book.

A great number of Tolkien's artworks may be found in the book 'JRR Tolkien: Artist and Illustrator, by Christina Scull and Wayne Hammond, better known on the Plaza as Findegil. These include many fine examples of pictures made by Tolkien for himself, based on TH, LotR and Silm. I recommend it.

It's all in the books...

Pilgrim of Isengard
    You may be thinking of the illustrations for the Hobbit, which Tolkien did draw himself. The correspondences between him and the publishers are to an extant present in The Letters of JRR Tolkienwhere he mentions details of sending them to Allen and Unwin and the issues involved as far as color printing goes. You can see a lot of the drawings in color in JRR Tolkien Artist and Illustratoras well as the upcoming book The Art of the Hobbit, both books by Wayne Hammond and Christina Scull (known as Findegil on the Plaza).
    Otherwise geordie covered it for LotR
    Fantasy is a natural human activity.

Scholar of Isengard

Quote Originally Posted by Olme
    You can see a lot of the drawings in colour in JRR Tolkien Artist and Illustratoras well as the upcoming book The Art of the Hobbit, both books by Wayne Hammond and Christina Scull (known as Findegil on the Plaza).
    I agree, get a copy of JRR Tolkien Artist and Illustrator now.
    I will also be getting the new book(The Art of the Hobbit) as soon as it comes out, really looking forward to this book

Edited by: Trotter
    My collector's profile - http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/collecting/collectors/Trotter.htm

Doorwarden of Minas Tirith

There's also "Pictures by J.R.R. Tolkien". It's not as complete as "J.R.R. Tolkien Artist and Illustrator", but what it does have is big, bright and beautiful. It's 30 X 35cm, quite a bit bigger than the "Artist and Illustrator" book. With pictures, it makes a difference."Artist and Illustrator", however, gives more commentary (a page or more, compared to about two lines) per illustration. Don't know which I prefer.

Edited by: Galastel

6. You could also be referring to the cover art on the Ballantine paperback editions of The Hobbit and the three Lord of the Rings books, which are orignal drawings done by Tolkien himself. I have these editions. I prefer these to the drawings on more recent editons - they're much more colorful and vibrant.

<br />
    <br />
    <br />