Thread: Hobbitus Ille

Old Took
    Advance warning of a book with this title by Latinist Mark Walker, scheduled for next September. A translation, along the lines of Winnie Ille Pu? We have to wait and see.

Details: http://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/...s/archives/226
    "I am no longer young even in the reckoning of Men of the Ancient Houses."

Fletcher of Lothlorien

I have to admit, the Classicist in me is quite excited by that prospect. Even though my ability to read Latin is a little rusty, I shall have to keep an eye out for it

Emeritus
    <DIV =WebWizRTE leftmargin="1" topmargin="1" marginheight="1" marginwidth="1">Thanks for the 'heads up' Dorwiniondil.
    He that would foil me must use such weapons as I do, for I have not fed my readers with straw, neither will I be confuted with stubble.

Healer of Imladris

That's interesting.

5. Actually I'm a little surprised something like this hasn't happened sooner, given the relative success of translating thins like Harry Potter into Latin (and Classical Greek, too).

Now, when we will we get Dominus Anulorum? OrŃnax tűn DaktylŪon? (Come on Classicists - it's only a thousand pages of linguistically complex material...)
    It is laden with history, leading back into the dark heathen ages beyond the memory of song, but not beyond the reach of imagination.

Old Took
    In fact Richard Sturch has made some suggestions for a Dominus Anulorum in Tolkien in Translation ed. Honegger (Walking Tree, 2003). So all we have to do is to follow Richard ....

Hugo Bracegirdle
    Ah, Richard Sturch... he was the last winner of TV's 'Mastermind' in the days when Magnus Magnusson was the interrogator/ I mean, quizmaster.
    A man to follow, indeed.

Edited by: geordie
    It's all in the books...

Fletcher of Lothlorien

A Latin version of Lord of the Rings...that would take me so long to read/translate!

This thread made me go look what other pieces of literature have been translated into Latin, some how I've now ordered Winnie Ille Pu, Domus Anguli Puensis and Ursus Nomine Paddington. That wasn't quite how I planned to revise Latin, but I'm sure it will be fun!

Old Took

OK, here we go.

CONVIVIUMDIU EXSPECTATUM

PostquamBilbo Bagginsius Saccofinensis se mox undecimiginta prima die nataliconvivium insolito splendore affectum acturum esse nuntiavit, per Hobbitonem crebri currebant sermones commotionesque.

or something like that.

My head hurts ...Edited by: Dorwiniondil

Old Took

11. There's a post on initial reflections on Hobbitus Ille on the blog Memiyawanzi, run by a guy in the Classics PhD program at Cambridge who's also a Tolkien fan:http://memiyawanzi.wordpress.com/201...hobbitus-ille/

He quotes a bit from the introduction, where the translator comments on the point of translating TH into Latin. Pretty interesting.
    It is laden with history, leading back into the dark heathen ages beyond the memory of song, but not beyond the reach of imagination.

Fletcher of Lothlorien
    A little late to the party, but I had the opportunity to hear the author/translator of Hobbitus Illespeaktoday, as well as get my hands on my own (signed) copy.

During the very short talk, he explained how he went about translating the book, thinking of it as a modern book In Latin rather than trying to make Tolkien sound Roman. The songs are done in the style of Latin poetry, while the little 'ditties' as he called them are like a kind of medieval Latin poetry style. He also explained how he went about the names, including how Gollum is a great name because he can just leave it as a neuter noun.
    Apparently his whole interest in myth and the reason he ended up taking Latin at university was because he read The Hobbitas a child. You could tell how interested/passionate he was about it. He even mentioned how interested LOTR fans can get with etymology and apparently some kept emailing him about what they wanted him to do. He was very nice, managed to have a chat to him about Classics teaching (he's a Latin teacher by trade) and got him to sign my copy of the book!

Spy of Mordor

It is probably somewhat crazy how happy I am right now.(I swear I'm not an impulse buyer - but in this case ... my university bookstore is entirely to blame. They put a whole stand of these right by the cash. And better late than never!)
    So far it just seems extraordinary wonderful to be reading TH in Latin - the translation is (at least so far) really easy to read / follow. There aren't too many words that Walker's had to adapt to the needs of modern English terms, and the glossary at the back lists all of them anyways. (lists the new/unfamiliar words, that is) Also - am currently loving Thorin's style as rendered in Latin. Totally appropriate and hilarious.
    Will give more detailed comments later once I've read a bit more - I currently have a break between classes so am hiding in a corner of the English building finishing Chapter 1!

Edited by: AlmarŽa Mordollwen