Craftsman of Dale

I came across this book, A Tolkienian Mathomium by Mark T.Hooker. I've got a couple of the more well known scholarly works on Tolkien by Shippey, Flieger, and Hammond and Scull. I was curious about Hooker's (I think in large part to the interesting title). But I haven't seen any threads related to this books, and I do not know really anything about Mark Hooker. Have any plaza members read it, and would recommend it? I guess, I want to know if there will be some different insight or new ideasthat Hooker offers? Or if it's basically the same that I would find reading like Road to Middle-earth, or Splintered Light?

everything is a copy, of a copy, of a copy

Old Took
    <DIV =WebWizRTE marginheight="1" marginwidth="1" leftmargin="1" topmargin="1">I've read it, and would definitely recommend it. It's a collection of short pieces, mainly originally published in such fanzines asBeyond Bree, Parma Nóle, andLembas,.Many of the articles are concerned with what Mark calls "Tolkiennymy", i.e. Tolkien's use of names for people and places; he's also interested in the use of individual words - like, for example, "Garn!"
    <DIV =WebWizRTE marginheight="1" marginwidth="1" leftmargin="1" topmargin="1">
    <DIV =WebWizRTE marginheight="1" marginwidth="1" leftmargin="1" topmargin="1">Mark's The Hobbitonian Anthology is a sim8lar collection. Both of these books are entertaining as well as interesting (and very scholarly!).
    The incarnate mind, the tongue and the tale are in our world coeval.

Emeritus

<DIV ="WebWizRTE" marginheight="1" marginwidth="1" topmargin="1" leftmargin="1">Mark very kindly donated copies of A Tolkien Mathomium along with other of his works to the Plaza to be used as gifts in some of our competitions. And, of course, he has also contributed to the Scholars Forum - a paper entitled The Frisian Smaug:
    <DIV ="WebWizRTE" marginheight="1" marginwidth="1" topmargin="1" leftmargin="1">
    <DIV ="WebWizRTE" marginheight="1" marginwidth="1" topmargin="1" leftmargin="1">http://www.lotrplaza.com/forum/forum...asp?TID=238202
    <DIV ="WebWizRTE" marginheight="1" marginwidth="1" topmargin="1" leftmargin="1">
    <DIV ="WebWizRTE" marginheight="1" marginwidth="1" topmargin="1" leftmargin="1">Edited by: halfir
    He that would foil me must use such weapons as I do, for I have not fed my readers with straw, neither will I be confuted with stubble.

Craftsman of Dale

Thank you both for the information. I've been interested in filling up my Tolkien bookshelf, and knew the usual and trusted authors like Shippey, Hammond, and Scull. But Idid not know about Hooker and I'm very cautious when spending money on an unfamiliar author. I'll pick it up at the next opportunity, can't promise when I'll read it next. That list seems to keep growing. After I finish Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series I had Verlyn Flieger's Interrupted Music up next.Thanks for all the help.

everything is a copy, of a copy, of a copy

Old Took
    One advantage of these two Hooker books is that althoigh the articles in themare very well-thought out and well-researched, they are also short and self contained. You don't have to sit down and read them from beginning to end - just take a chapter when you have a few minutes.

Very different from Interrupted Music!
    The incarnate mind, the tongue and the tale are in our world coeval.

Emeritus
    Very different from Interrupted Music

Or from Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series aka Game of Thrones.

And of course Verlyn Flieger has kindly agreed to produce a paper for the Scholars Forum in 2012!
    He that would foil me must use such weapons as I do, for I have not fed my readers with straw, neither will I be confuted with stubble.