Thread: Mary Fairburn

Old Took
    <DIV =WebWizRTE marginheight="1" marginwidth="1" leftmargin="1" topmargin="1">
    <DIV marginheight="1" marginwidth="1" leftmargin="1" topmargin="1" ="WebWizRTE">There is a substantial article by Paul Tankardin the current Times Literary Supplement (Sept 14 2012) about a Tolkien illustrator who is new to me: Mary Fairburn, at present living in Australia. She corresponded with Tolkien in 1968, sending him examples of her work. He responded with enthusiasm, writing to her that the pictures were
    <DIV marginheight="1" marginwidth="1" leftmargin="1" topmargin="1" ="WebWizRTE">splendid. They are better pictures in themselves and also show far more attention to the text than any that have yet been submitted to me.
    <DIV marginheight="1" marginwidth="1" leftmargin="1" topmargin="1" ="WebWizRTE">Unfortunately this occurred just as Tolkien's life was becoming difficult, as among other things he injured his leg and was on the point of moving to Bornemouth. After some more correspondence, in the course of which he seriously considered an illustrated edition (judged too expensive by Allen and Unwin), he made her a gift of £50.00,andseparately Mary Fairburn sent him her illustration of Galadriel at the Well, which is reproduced on thefront of the TLS (which also contains her illustration of the three boats on the Great River.The rest of her surviving Tolkien illustrations are apparently in a friend'shouse in Derbyshire; other titles are: the departure from Bombadil's ouse, the Inn at Bree, Caradhras, the Bridge of Khazad-Dûm, Treebeard with Pippin and Merry, Gandalf on the Tower of Orthanc, and Sam and Frodo in Mordor with Nazghul (sic). This last Tankard says is "probably the picture also described as the Dead Marshes" (oh yeah??).
    <DIV marginheight="1" marginwidth="1" leftmargin="1" topmargin="1" ="WebWizRTE">
    <DIV marginheight="1" marginwidth="1" leftmargin="1" topmargin="1" ="WebWizRTE">There is no indication in the articleas to what sort of follow-up there will be. Perhaps and illustrated edition? In any case, this is definitely something we should look out for. If anybody knows more, please tell!
    <DIV marginheight="1" marginwidth="1" leftmargin="1" topmargin="1" ="WebWizRTE">
    <DIV marginheight="1" marginwidth="1" leftmargin="1" topmargin="1" ="WebWizRTE">PS: full article here: http://www.the-tls.co.uk/tls/public/article1124297.eceEdited by: Dorwiniondil
    "I am no longer young even in the reckoning of Men of the Ancient Houses."

Artisan of Lindon
    Do you know any place where we might be able to see the remaining drawings mentioned above? Only the three boats on the great River appear in the article that you provided the link to.

Old Took
    <DIV =WebWizRTE topmargin="1" leftmargin="1" marginwidth="1" marginheight="1">'Galadriel at the Well' is, as I've said, on the front of the current issue, not reproduced here. The others are just mentoned in the article. No reproductions.

Bowmaster of Lothlorien

Sometimes you just have to keep looking. In today's digital world, practically everything published exists somewhere and at least parts can be referenced without violating copyright law. The problem is...tracking it all down.This is not the best of copies, but it shows you what Ms. Fairburn can do with portraits and perhaps there might be a link with abetter detailed view. But, hey! it's a start!http://www.facebook.com/pages/Times-...=1&amp;theater(added - oh! and I still love the books!!!)

Edited by: Nieliqui Vaneyar

Old Took
    <DIV =WebWizRTE topmargin="1" leftmargin="1" marginwidth="1" marginheight="1">Thanks, Nieliqui! The bottom is severely cropped, but you can get the general idea.
    <DIV =WebWizRTE topmargin="1" leftmargin="1" marginwidth="1" marginheight="1">
    <DIV =WebWizRTE topmargin="1" leftmargin="1" marginwidth="1" marginheight="1">Anybody else know any more?

Fisherman of Lindon

Very interesting, Dorwiniondil, many thanks for noting this!

How would one most easily order a paper copy of this TLS issue? Has anyone triedhttp://www.ocsmedia.net/The-Times-Li...nt/back-issues?

Edited by: Morgan

Fisherman of Lindon

A Myspace page with a Tolkien-inspired CD produced by Fairburn:

http://www.myspace.com/oddssods

This album features Odds &amp; Sods playing the music of Patrick Currie Flegg. The Piano Suite 'Anduin the Mighty River' describes the journey of the Company of the Ring down its great tide toward Gondor. Other works include the song 'Clontarf'; based on Irish history, it epitomises a universal predicament, and a set of folk tunes, some of them modal: jigs, reels, polkas, marches and airs. The composer's widow, Mary Fairburn-Flegg, plays mandolin and mandola and illustrated the booklet. The only artist to be personally requested by J.R.R. Tolkien to illustrate The Lord of the Rings, she was employed by him in 1968-9. CDs are available for $20 plus postage by contacting Mary thru this page.

Old Took
    Well found, Morgan!

Hugo Bracegirdle
    Got my copy; I think it's a wonderful piece; the reproduction of 'The Great River' is very well done... just picking through the rest of the article... here's one thing -

Among visual artists whose work Tolkien did see and approve was the English illustrator Pauline Baynes. She painted the two famous vistas – the originals of which Tolkien bought – first used on the slipcase of the scarce three-volume deluxe edition of The Lord of the Rings (1963) and subsequently on the cover of the much-reprinted single-volume paperback edition (1968).

Actually Pauline painted three scenes - a triptych - to wrap around the box in which the 1964 deluxe ed. was published. Tolkien didn't buy the original - after Rayner Unwin visited Tolkien on 31 July 1964 and showed him Pauline's painting, Rayner wrote to Pauline that Tolkien

'was enchanted and said you had exactly his eye for landscape and asked if, when we had finished using it for technical reproduction, he could have it for permanent loan in his study'.
    (Scull & Hammond, _Chronology_, p.620)

Lastly - I've noticed elswhere on the net a sense of begrudgement regarding Christopher and the Estate, regarding film rights of The Silmarillion and whatnot. Even after all these years, there are folk who call Christopher names (curmudgeon seems to be the latest trend) because they see the Estate in general, and Christopher in particular, as (apparently) having nothing better to do than spoil their fun! It's worth pointing out
    Dr. Tankard's acknowledgement at the end of his piece -

I am grateful to Mary Fairburn and to the Tolkien Estate for permission to quote from his letters to her, and from his letter of August 7, 1968 to his secretary. Quotations from the letters of J. R. R. Tolkien © The J R R Tolkien Copyright Trust 2012. Copies of Mary Fairburn’s letters to Tolkien were kindly made available to me by the Tolkien Estate, and I quote from them here with Miss Fairburn’s permission.

I've said it before, and it bears repeating - the Estate doesn't exist simply to sell movie rights, nor to automatically grant requests to see and use unpublished Tolkien material. Here we have an example of someone asking permission correctly and successfuly. There are other examples; the Estate are not the ogres some would have us believe.

Edited by: geordie
    It's all in the books...

Hugo Bracegirdle
    Here's spmething more - a fifteen minute radio interview with Paul Tankard. Very well done, it is.

Look here

Scroll down to 'Literary detective Dr. Paul Tankard'.

Edited by: geordie
    It's all in the books...

Fisherman of Lindon

Thanks for the link, geordie!