Craftsman of Dale

The Hobbit - Battle of Five Armies Reviews (Here there be spoilers)

Out of the uncontrollable desire for completion, I did watch the last Hobbit movie today. I'll try to be as general and vague as possible to avoid any major spoilers, because I don't want to ruin anyone else's experience.

Overall...as a film I left enjoying most of the characters and actually most of the action sequences (normally I'm not a fan of hyped up and exaggerated battles, or a film of just watching humanoids hack up a bunch of scary monsters). But this battle it felt like there was much at stake and there was plenty of danger as well as death and loss. And as a film it was far superior to Desolation of Smaug, I think the main reason is the Desolation felt like 3 hours of nothing...where nothing actually happens to the storyline except to stretch it out as far as possible. Battle of Five Armies the story gets resolved and there's a conclusion. As an adaptation it's still not very good. The best parts continue to be scenes and dialogue lifted out of the book.

I do sincerely believe this movie contains some of the best moments in any of the other movies, particularly anything with Bilbo and Gandalf and Bilbo and Thorin. It was nice to see in all the action and sword-fighting the filmmakers did not lose sight of the fact that The Hobbit is a story about erm...The Hobbit. A hobbit who comes into his own on this fantastic adventure and Bilbo plays the biggest parts (as he should) in the movie. And Martin Freeman does a wonderful job. I also quite liked when Saruman and Elrond show up in Dol Guldur, it is one of the better action sequences in a film in my recent memory. Christopher Lee always brings his best. And I like the characterization of Hobbit Elrond far better than LOTR Elrond. It just proves Hugo Weaving could have played a good Elrond if the direction and his part in LOTR was written better.

The only major sore points in the film are basically anything with Tauriel and Legolas...it's not their faults, their purpose in being in these films is just useless and terrible. Plus all this slowing down people's voices is overdone and too much cheese for my tastes.

More to come later probably.
    everything is a copy, of a copy, of a copy

2. I thought The Battle of Five Armies was quasi-entertaining to watch and I was certainly emotional about bidding farewell to Middle-earth on the big screen and was deeply moved by Richard Armitage's performance as Thorin Oakenshield again but there was so much appalling ignorance of lore which frustrated me. It was to be expected that the film in this trilogy-which-shouldn't-be-a-trilogy would be another terrible adaptation of the source material but this installment seemed to have more non-canon material/things changed than the earlier films in the set, continuing the blatant disregard of Tolkien's work which has been rampant in the previous movies.

Spoilers:

1.) I hated the whole wereworms of the Last Desert thing; they shouldn't be in Wilderland, just the far east. Believing they would tunnel through the earth for thousands of miles to show up in the west is simply ludicrous. Even just story-wise for the movie - you only see them once for a few seconds and then not again for the remainder of the battle. They look massive. There is no logical reason why they should just vanish from our view. PJ has only done this for an excuse to flaunt CGI brilliance.

2.) Fili, Kili, Thorin, Azog, and Bolg. In the book Fili and Kili die protecting Thorin fruitlessly. In the movie Fili is captured and gets killed. Kili perishes protecting Tauriel who shouldn't even be featured majorly in this trilogy-which-shouldn't-be-a-trilogy (I wouldn't mind if she was a side character representing Silvan Elves though. By the way, I hated she kissed Kili's corpse. Elven romances with humans are fine but with dwarves? No.), so he dies protecting a non-canon character instead of defending his beloved uncle. That is sacrilege. Thorin dies trying to kill Azog in the movie; Azog, i've said this so many times to people, shouldn't even be in the film because he was slain a long time ago. It's Bolg, his living son, who should be the main Orc star (even though he only appeared at the end of the novel and wasn't chasing the party around). Thorin doesn't kill him in the book - he tries in vain and gets mortally wounded by him. So... you have a canon character killing a canon character who is supposed to be dead in TA 2799, 142 years prior to the Battle of the Five Armies.

3.)Instead of Bolg getting killed by Beorn he's executed by Legolas who shouldn't even be a major character since he wasn't in The Hobbit novel, so he pretty much stole that kill from Beorn; I wouldn't mind if Legolas appeared briefly in the Battle of Five Armies leading troops against the Orcs, wolves, and bats (By the way, why are trolls here?? I don't recall them joining the conflict in the book but I did enjoy seeing the bat-cloud Tolkien wrote about). Poor Beorn. He is one of the deadliest, coolest persons in The Hobbit and PJ messed up his character, cutting out most of the skin-changer's doings and altering his physical appearance, making him look less imposing than he needs to be. In the story, he appears in the Battle of Five Armies totally alone in massive bear form and slaughters countless goblins and wolves; he is supposed to move Thorin's wounded body to safety and smash Bolg down. In this movie, Beorn is ridiculously parachuted into the fray in human form by a Great Eagle and you only see him transform into his bear guise for a few brief moments, watching him battle Orcs for less than ten seconds. It's like...why did you even bring him into this three-part adaptation anyway if you're going to disrespect him like this, PJ? He was the most lethal hero of the allies in the Battle of Five Armies; one would think PJ would love to use him well.

4.)Thranduil about to kill Tauriel. Elvish kinslaying was over at the end of the First Age. It infuriates me to see elves behave so cruelly to their kindred in the Third Age. PJ knows he can't film The Silmarillion so he's thrown in a kinslaying vibe and an interracial romance because he can't dramatize Beren and Lúthien's Quest of the Silmaril it seems to me.

5.)Bard. First, he doesn't even shoot down Smaug like in the book - alone and unaided, only armed with a simple black arrow...one that doesn't look metallic. He has to steady this absurd arrow on his son's shoulder. That's silly. In the book, Smaug doesn't talk down to Bard; the wrym is too busy wreaking havoc to care about endangering himself by landing on all fours to taunt a mortal. Bard talks to his kid, wasting a valuble opportunity to quote the book character, saying: "Arrow! I have saved you to the last. You have never failed me and always I have recovered you. I had you from my father and he from of ld. If ever you came from the forges of the true king under the Mountain, go now and speed well." Secondly, I was appalled that Legolas - who's not supposed to be present - is destroying more Orcs with his bow and arrows than Bard through the entire movie.

6.)Aragorn. Thranduil should never have mentioned Aragorn. PJ should have known better. Aragorn, according to the Tale of Years in Appendix B, was born in the year TA 2931. The Battle of the Five Armies takes place in the year TA 2941 which means that Aragorn is only 10 years old during this time. He did not begin his adventures until 2957 when he was 26 years old and we can infer he must have picked up the name Strider shortly after because he wasn't striding anywhere previously . Consequently, Thranduil would not know of Aragorn's errantries until then. Of course, you can understand why I rolled my eyes at this point during the finale, right ?

7. Lady Galadriel. I did not enjoy seeing her powerful, ethereal character reduced to a Tim Burton knock-off who looks as demonic as the Ringwraiths than righteously irate. She is also a Ringbearer - I doubt she would feel so weakened in a confrontation with evil forces. It also bothers me that Lord Elrond who has the mightiest of the Three Rings didn't help her at all, joining his might to hers. Outrageous.

8. Gundabad. It's totally implausible, even for elves, to reach Gundabad from Erebor and to return back in so little time. Impossible. PJ needed to study the Middle-earth map...or maybe he just didn't care.

9. Smaug dying in the first few minutes of the movie before the opening title appears. This bothered me. Bard should have just killed dragon at the end of The Desolation of Smaug.

End Spoilers

Addendum: Dain was cool.
    Last edited by Aigronding Mordagnir; 18/Dec/2014 at 07:09 PM.
    "How long do you want it to be?" - Steven C.
    "As long as it needs to be." - Aimmi G.

Gwaihir
    I am just back from watching BOFA. I have mixed feelings and thoughts about it. Very much action, all of the peaceful scenes are cut from it and I can take a vow we will see them back in the extended next year. It's clearly an open end, where with Legolas off to the Dunedain, the growing strength of Gundabad untouched, and Saruman's 'leave Sauron to me' leaves a lot of unanswered plotlines, that might take us back toward the Battle of Fornost centuries earlier. There is spoken off another trilogy in between, I don't know if that will come true, but the Dunedain would be a nice subject for there. On the other hand with much fantasy both trilogies would close up nicely to each other. Anyway it was nice to watch, but I won't see it for a second time in the cinema.

But after reading above the other posts, I can only say: don't compare the movies with the books. That brings only heartbreak. I don't mind PJ's recap of the tales. There is more about the giant evil worms, it's just cut. The whole movie is a little over 120 minutes. I guess material that's left out will add for another 25 or even 40 minutes on scenes we haven't seen. I had hoped also a nice Dwarvenfeast. But alas. It's most war and action... Alfrid in his dress and a bra full of cold was extremely funny. It was a big joke to break the tension in the movie. JP has done a very good job, but I think the cinema bosses wouldn't allow us to give more than two hours. The rest is for the extended next year.

I thank PJ for the pleasure of today.
    Last edited by Lady Aikári; 22/Dec/2014 at 04:10 PM.

4. I was very fond of BOFA. I cried. A lot. I was struck very hard right across the face when King Thranduil mentioned Legolas's mother; tears sprang to my eyes. The last twenty to thirty minutes of the movie were emotionally intense. I agree with Lady Aikári -- don't compare the movies with the book. Don't do that for 'The Lord of the Rings' either. Like the Lady said, it will only bring heartbreak. Of course, when has there ever been a time it which that type of comparison did not bring heartbreak?

Lady Galadriel scared me. She is amazing, but when she was using all of her power, she scared me. I was illogically afraid that something happened to her, but we all know that Lady Galadriel is untouchable. I felt so much better when Lord Elrond caught her -- he is a good son-in-law, isn't he?

(While watching the movie -- and that particular scene -- I suddenly realized that Lord Elrond is in fact Lady Galadriel's son-in-law. My only thought after that was, Well, that took you long enough, Lady!)

I was actually very fond of that bit when Tauriel pulled her bow on King Thranduil. She looked very serious about it, and for an impromptu character, she has a lot of pluck, a lot of spine, and a big place. Peter Jackson was really trying when he and crew developed her character -- feminism, it seems, is finding places to thrive. Legolas did not need to step in, I think; at this point, it can probably be agreed that Tauriel can pretty much fend for herself, even though it did take an Elf and a Dwarf to save her later on.

I probably sound ridiculous. I am a New Soul, and all of you (and most especially Aigronding Mordagnir) are much more experienced than I am. If you laugh at me, all is well; I have been ridiculed enough in my life. At the very least, I don't write idiotic fan fiction!

5. Aikari, the wereworms live in the east of Middle-earth and are considered mythical, pretty much, in the legendarium. Also, they're so massive it's truly a wonder why we didn't see them throughout the battle and wreaking havoc on the allies; even if there is more with them in the extended version of The Battle of Five Armies the movie should be over in minutes because of their gargantuan size and ferocity and they could have tunnelled right into Erebor itself - it's best to leave them out of the film entirely. Alfrid shouldn't have been in these movies; he's a non-canon character and - along with Tauriel and Bard's children, and unnecessary moments with Legolas to boot - took away valuable screentime from more important historical characters like Bilbo and Beorn. About separating books from the movies: The thing is PJ made up so much stuff that The Hobbit adaptation set barely resembles the source material and I'm surely not the only one who thinks so ; just look here. The Lord of the Rings films dramatized the latter novels more accurately than this trilogy-which-shouldn't-be-a-trilogy. One would think he would make The Hobbit for both readers who loved the book and those who haven't but it seems like PJ only wanted to for movie fans alone.

Welcome to the Plaza, Lady of Auburn Hair ! Personally, I must say I was very shocked by the mentioning of Legolas' mother and that shock outweighed my grief. It's another example of Peter Jackson changing too many things Tolkien wrote about to fit his own purposes. It was a host of Lothlorien and not Mirkwood which fought along side the elves of Lindon and Rivendell to subdue Angmar for a while around TA 1409 and the elves of Imladris fought in the Battle of Fornost in TA 1975; Legolas' mother shouldn't have been near Eriador to fight against Angmar at any time. It's more logical to assume that, if she is dead, that Thranduil's wife was killed by one of the fell beasts of Mirkwood which is rife with danger. That's another thing I was displeased about: Peter Jackson was so consumed with Tauriel, Legolas, and Radagast - none of whom featured prominently in The Hobbit novel - that he didn't show us how bad it really was in the forest kingdom which just seems gloomy and not perilous at all save for a handful of spiders in The Desolation of Smaug. Lady Galadriel was indeed very scary - and she shouldn't have been, in my opinion. Galadriel is very strong and powerful but she shouldn't have looked as demonic as the Ringwraiths and Sauron. I was very incensed that Tauriel, who, has been in Thranduil's favor for probably decades (we don't know how old she is), would decide to shoot her own king to save a dwarf prince she barely even knows (A
    nd their particular interracial romance is really bad fan-fiction, totally inconceivable, I must say. Elves and mortals in love, yes that's plausible, but elves and dwarves? No.) The Kinslaying days have been over for millennia by this point, I need to mention; elves have a more evolved sensibility in the Third Age.

To me, these films were mildly entertaining but had plenty of things wrong with them - like the ridiculously amputated minions, trolls who seemed to die or be knocked out too easily, killing Smaug just a few minutes into the movie, Tauriel and Legolas crossing hundreds of miles from Laketown to Gundabad and getting to the Lonely Mountain in what seems an hour or something (it should take several weeks to leave Wilderland and get over there and the same amount to come back), et cetera - and were grossly disrespectful to the source material.
    Last edited by Aigronding Mordagnir; 24/Dec/2014 at 08:00 AM.

Scavenger of Mordor
    Well I can't say that it's overly depressing or anything... but I was a bit disappointed with how this movie played out.

(Spoilers)

Maybe it will make up with the deluxe edition, but still I mean... Head-Roll'n Thorin, Pricky Thranduil, dead bodies of Women and Children, the expected death of the Lake Town Mayor, his Weasel's weasily behavior to the bitter end, the weird designs they choose for the different trolls, Ghűlish Galadriel, again no explaining for the eagles, Radagast, or Beorn?, A bitter sweet end at the last 10 minutes before the end credits?

Also, if Angmar is involved, where is the Witch-King in all this? Shouldn't the rise of Angmar be during or after the Hobbit? The unnecessary motifs on how dark and gritty everything is...

You know it's amazing actually... Game of Thrones... a much, much darker program, as based on a really dark novel... had more jokes, and more color than the Hobbit!

If that's true they might make another film series that takes place between the Hobbit and the LOTR, then I'd be happy about that cause that means this story can continue and we can learn more about the mythology of Middle-Earth thru these seperate movies and see how attributes from these different narratives will tie in.
    Last edited by Troy Troodon; 24/Dec/2014 at 09:07 AM.

Cottager of Ithilien
    I personally enjoyed it quite a bit, however, I agree with Aigronding that it is quite disrespectful to the source material, if you watch it, watch it for itself, and read the books for themselves.
    My favorite part was where Thranduil fights with his twin swords, very beautifully done, it could have used a lot more of that, the eagles were very good as well.
    @ Troy, have you read the book, or books if you count LOTR?
    "All you have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to you."

Scavenger of Mordor
    @ Riscarne, yes.

Gwaihir
    Lady of Auburn Hair: Welcome to the Plaza! You don't sound ridiculous to me at all. You give a positive review, it's the kind of feeling that will build gradually with me. I love it how it touched you. My sister said yesterday to me she wanted to see it again, the movie (she is touched by it too). So I think I will see it for a second time. I am looking for the extended next year, because a lot still has been cut away. I think the movie will be better then too. Galadriel and the power of the three elven rings was very impressive. I was happy to see it on screen, because visualising such battles all by yourself is not easy.

Aigronding: I know, so Alfrid is a creation as well. I had forgotten that. Besides he was the jester. With the women dress on, a bra full of coins and be called a weasel, I lay double of laughing in the chair. He is used to pull the tension out of some scenes. Problem with bringing books to the big screen, they serves a general public, and it's a balance of giving and taking. Disney is now creating a new series of Star Wars, which will be for me a kind of abomination, being a SW lower, worser than a fan. But I can't do a thing about it. I let it go and I am happy with the thirty enjoyable years that Lucasfilm for was GL's possession, before he sold everything to Disney. I hope he sold not the owner and writing rights, like the heirs of Tolkien still have, because I fear the very worst for SW then. But in your words I feel an echo in another course.
    Movies are about profit alas. With books this is much lesser, thankfully.

Fletcher of Lothlorien
    Finally got to see it today here in Melbourne. I have to say it was the least impressive amongst the 3. The only highlights for me were how excellent the battle formation and armour of the Silvan army (nerdgasm) and how Dain looked. Those 500 dwarfs he took with him should at least looked "veteran" instead of just having same ol' dull silver plain armour and helmet.

The movie was a bad mix of who knows what.
    We are the mighty Noldor! Morgoth's Bane!

Cottager of Ithilien
    I wish they had a little more about Beorn, he does kill Bolg after all, and in fact, getting Legolas to kill him when Legolas was not even in the book was a liitle too much of a stretch, then again everything Legolas does in The Hobbit 2 and 3 was a bit of a stretch, his father was portrayed a lot more realistically in my opinion, more like one of Tolkien's Elves, Legolas was portrayed like a Dungeons and Dragons Elf, which have their place, but not in Middle Earth.
    Honestly, though, the second and last Hobbit had more of a Drizzt Anthology feel than a Middle Earth feel.

Fletcher of Lothlorien
    Riscarne - I concur with your observations, mate. Me thinks Legolas would have been more appropriate leading the archers' unit, tis Thranduil that should take the spotlight re this Hobbit film.

Sailmaker of Lindon
    So, BoFA. Hmm.
    First thing is, I have to take the source material in account when reviewing. I had it in mind when I was watching it, which was probably a bad idea, but I can't distance myself from it, and I kind of envy people who can watch it free from expectation and presumption when they have read the actual book, because I can't be nearly so objective. I am not a good judge of a good film, so this review is mostly about the movie as an adaptation.
    I agree with Aig on most things, and, as Aikari said, most of the peaceful scenes are cut. I felt it would have been nice to keep them, but it's not as much of a peeve as most of my other problems with the movie.
    I'll start with what I liked. And also, HERE BE SPOILERS. At some point.
    Dain was great. War pigs!
    The scene with the Necromancer and Galadriel and spontaneous Hugo Weaving was enjoyable, even though it made me slightly uneasy, as if it were stamping on a pile of copies of The Hobbit, LoTR and the Silmarillion in muddy boots, but in a subtle way which I wasn't noticing. Maybe I'm just imagining things
    Gold-crazy Thorin was excellent. Thranduil was possibly the highlight of the film for me. I sort of chortled during the mother conversation the second time I watched it, as Orlando Bloom as Legolas was displaying almost no emotion whatsoever, whereas Thranduil is the background is a display of great acting (not that I'd know )
    Alfrid was unnecessary and absurd, but absolutely hilarious. I don't regret PJ shoehorning him in for comic relief.
    The crux of my problems with the film is that, in LotR, I maybe didn't agree with all of PJ's decisions with regards to LotR as an adaptation of the book. But all of his decisions were fairly reasonable (some more than others) and, in my opinion, it was a good adaptation. Certainly not perfect, or ideal, but he did an excellent job with difficult material. Now, in The Hobbit, there were times when I felt PJ had just decided that the actual plot was wholly unnecessary, canon characters were unimportant, key events could be twisted for no particular reason, and the nerds would be happy as long as he made complex and not even slightly explained references to Sauron's master plan, Angmar and other such historical things. Maybe make a couple of the characters say 'Morgoth' at some point. Remember to do some other unrelated Silmarillion name-dropping. That'll do the trick.
    Anyway, time for a rant. Radagast.
    So, this is just a pet peeve of mine and I'm not pretending it's really important, or terrible film-making on PJ's part, it just annoys me personally. Radagast, ladies and gentlemen, is actually QUITE POWERFUL, thank you very much. Yeah, I mean, he has much less power than Gandalf or Saruman, but guys! still a Maiar! still a lot more powerful than most of the main characters!
    JUST BECAUSE HE IS A MAIAR OF YAVANNA AND NATUREY THINGS AND HE TALKS TO BIRDS AND WHAT HAVE YOU DOES NOT MEAN HE'S SOME CRAZY HERMIT WHO LIVES IN THE FOREST AND RIDES A SLEIGH PULLED BY RABBITS. RABBITS?!
    Sorry. I just... I liked him in the books (LotR). It upsets me an unnecessary amount that he was reduced to... that.
    And he looked terrified of Galadriel. I mean, yeah, she's scary, but it's probably arguable that he is more powerful than she is. I'm no scholar, but it's possible, isn't it? The point is, it is a debate that could be had.
    It's so humiliating.
    Tauriel was okay. I am almost completely ambivalent to her as a character. Other people have made the necessary points on her.
    Aig, the stuff about Smaug's death and Bard- my sentiments exactly. YES.
    That ridiculous arrow
    What is it with PJ and making Legolas defy physics? Why? First the Helm's Deep shield thing, then the rock leapy thing- just urgh. Taking the killing of Bolg away from Beorn was also unjustified.
    And those worms.
    There for what, 30 seconds? Then what, they disappear from the face of Middle Earth? Dear PJ, please stop twisting lore to fill your own screwy plot holes thereby throwing continuity and realsim to the wind.
    But, on the plus side, Martin Freeman did an admirable job of making Bilbo quaint but not ridiculous. If it was a scene with Bilbo in it, it was a good scene.
    "Aren't you the one who stole the keys to my dungeons from underneath the noses of my guards?"
    *bilbo averts eyes* "...yesh"
    *Bard grins a little*

I'll probably remember some more things, but, to be honest, this is more a list of pet peeves than a serious review. Ah well.
    Last edited by Calengil Greenstar; 29/Dec/2014 at 06:54 PM.
    “I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Salmon of Doubt

Tulkas
    I had to log in just to comment of this latest movie. Though I have had some info from Aig earlier I didn't believe that it could that bad. I was ashamed when i watched it. There was nothing good in it. *Piiping* insult whole movie.

15. I'm glad we agree, Day and Calen! So much rubbish.

Yes, Radagast is definitely more powerful than Galadriel. He is a divine being, a Maia - Radagast is pretty much an angel, way more powerful than a High Elf who is not a holy entity. Even in his guise as an old man, he possesses incredible strength and power. Radagast just can't openly display his majesty though; Istari in Middle-earth have rules governing their actions among the Free Peoples spoken about in Unfinished Tales. Which reminds me of something. Gandalf shouldn't have said he didn't remember the Blue Wizards in The Unexpected Journey. Gandalf has known Alatar and Pallando since before Arda was created. It's absurd to think he can't remember the names of his fellow angelic brethen.
    Last edited by Aigronding Mordagnir; 30/Dec/2014 at 01:56 AM.

Cottager of Ithilien
    I thought Radagast was wierd in the movies, but now that you mention it, he would be more powerful than Galadriel, everytime you think about it, you find another thing PJ butchered.

Sailmaker of Lindon
    Yeah, you're right. What with all the wishy-washy around the powers of the Maiar, especially the Istari, I thought it best to take the most neutral stance possible, but yes.

What is with Galadriel's telepathy? Foresight, yes, but I never really understood the motive behind giving her telepathy.
    With regards to Gandalf's comment about Blue Wizards, well, we've already established that PJ doesn't care about lore, but I think I read somewhere that it was to make a point about how they are never mentioned (a pretty ridiculous point, since they disappear into the East and the East is never written about anyway).

On a side note, Aig, the thing about Aragorn's age is an excellent point- somebody really should have picked that up. That's not even remotely excusable.
    “I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Salmon of Doubt

New Soul
    SPOILERS
    SPOILERS
    SPOILERS
    SPOILERS

It's a very meh movie IMO.

First off Bilbo is barely in it which is a shame because 1. it's his movie, the series is called "the hobbit"

2. He's by far the best part of the movie, he's the only one that seems human because he isn't constantly trying to sound cool. I swear the dialogue here was horrible, it was like the writers were trying to have a competition to see who could write the most BA line.

Secondly it's really boring. It's basically just a 2 hour long fight scene which sounds cool on paper but in execution it just drags on and on and on.

Thirdly it somehow manages both to drag on too long and be too short. Like seriously when they got to the part at the end where he was already at his house I was like "wtf" because it felt like I had only been sitting there an hour at most.

Finally it doesn't even need to exist in my opinion. They could have just had the scene with them killing the dragon at the end of DoS. They could have had the scene with Gandalf and Radagast escaping from whereever they are at the end of DoS. The only thing they might have needed this for was to explore the stuff with Thorin going crazy, as that stuff is really interesting, and then maybe have the battle be the middle, and then focus on Bilbo returning to the Shire. They could have done some cool stuff with all the people they had to get through in the beginning, a sort of full-circle kind of thing, it would be a ton of fun like the first movie and be pretty enjoyable. But instead they made the focus of the movie a battle. 1 single battle! That's not enough to do a 2 hour movie on.

Someone here suggested the extended edition might have some more stuff in it and I do hope so.

Wanderer of the Lone Lands

Post Battle of 5+ Armies, and the PJ Hobbit trilogy in General

I've held back from commenting on this until the new year to give a chance of most people seeing it. That said, I really don't have much to say about it. A few parts were reasonably well done, but for the most part, it was filled with too much hubris. There really is no need of an extended edition, except for maybe providing some good story parts. Then the three extended Editions need to have a three-into-one (some other... Kate Madison maybe?) Director's Edit edition to take all the good from the three movies and get it together in one 3 hour disk.

That said, Bo5A wasn't the worst of the three.
    Annalist, Physician, & Historian
    of The Black Company of the Dúnedain,
    The Free Company of Arnor

Fletcher of Lothlorien
    where was the 1000 elves spearmen charging for battle?

Gwaihir
    Aranadhel: I think they will be in the extended of BOFA, when it comes out later in 2015. There is far more missing and I estimate that we can enjoy another 35 to 40 minutes. I miss as well the claim of the Arkenstone, left in the hands of Thranduil. And the king doesn't have his white stones yet. And I think there is far more to Gundabad in the north as well. Legolas and Tauriel are just watching there.

22. Having been a Laketowner in films 2 & 3, I wish there had been more of the destruction of Laketown :-) I really liked Billy Connolly as Dain too, though his pig isn't as cute as ours... ;-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUNxlT86Dtk I had a chance to banter with him in the catering tent one day, but he wasn't looking well, and I heard a rumour that he had to stop filming early, which might explain why Dain appears to be primarily CGI.

I have loved Tolkien's books since I was a child, and I love the LOTR and Hobbit films too (though I think there are scenes which could do with shortening or cutting). I think they need to be seen as two completely different things, created for different reasons and with different audiences in mind.
    Last edited by laketownlady; 02/Jan/2015 at 05:48 AM. Reason: spelling

Guard of the Mark
    The battle scene was too long (my sister got bored), the White Council scenes were awesome, things were missing such as what happened to the Arkenstone and King Dain and Kind Bard and Thorin's funeral all of which I would have liked to have seen, Kili dying defending Tauriel was wrong in my opinion because Kili and Fili should have died defending Thorin to show the importance of the sister-son relationship. That's all I've got for now.
    Even if you're only a boy you can fight like a girl. ~ EA <X3

Fletcher of Lothlorien
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLjaMRvtUF4

Look closely, it seems not all of the Dwarf army charged to counter the first wave of the orcs. as you can see on the far right of the screen 2 lines of dwarf still remain on the side of the hill.

but the elves army, so so vast. reduced to mere pittance before the end of the film. where did they all go? really hate knowing all slashed for the extended edition.

Newborn of Mirkwood
    I would agree with you. I've seen the movie twice now and the second time I noticed some more things than I did the first time. One of the major things that's bothering me, is that we hardly see any of Fili. I am not a big Fili and Kili fan, but we get to see a lot of Kili and Fili is just... There. His death scene is about ten seconds and after that you get to see nothing else from him, while Kili gets a lot more screen time and that's sad. I had loved to see some more between the relationship of Fili and Thorin, as we see from Kili and Thorin.
    What I did like, was the look we got into the gold sickness of Thorin. Richard did an excellent job on playing that part and I really enjoyed watching it, you really got to feel what he felt and what the others of the company felt.
    It was kinda sad, though, that Smaug died within 5 minutes of the movie. In DoS those scenes were extremely long, especially in Erebor, and in BOTFA, once he got to Lake-town it all ended so quickly.

Overall I really liked this movie and I have laughed my ass off because of Alfrid, Ryan Gage did an amazing job this time! Of course there are some bits and things I do not like about this movie, but I find it definitely not a bad movie or a flop. Now it's just waiting for the EE, because that might solve some of my "problems" I have with the movie. For example; why we don't see anything about what happens after the battle and after the deaths of Thorin, Fili and Kili. Hopefully we get a better look at that in the EE.

Fletcher of Lothlorien
    I concur with you too. For sure the burial of Thorin and the ascension to the throne of Erebor for Dain Ironfoot, not forgetting seeing the men of Dale claiming their gold's worth and Thranduil getting the jewels back amongst others.

PJ made a big mess altering Thorin and his nephews death and not having Beorn be the hero in the book for was he not the one that bore Thorin away to safety? I did not cringe or felt sad at how those 3 dwarfs died in the movie and having Tauriel romance with a dwarf seems, *sigh* ridiculous. Why not make her Legolas' love interest in the film and have her die at the hands of Bolg so that in the end he is swayed to go to the North and not sit idle in Mirkwood to seek vengeance against the remaining Orcs and encounter the Dunedain and learn of Aragorn along the way. That scene before the end when Thranduil tells his son to seek the last Heir of Isildur is so so "wrong" as Aragorn himself still lived in Imladris til the age of 20. Which is about 10 years after the BOTFA.

I reckon both Legolas and Tauriel should also have participated at the Battle, have Thranduil command the spearmen and swordsmen but let Legolas command the archers. If Legolas was at the battle (for the movie) and witnessed the insult given to his father by Dain Ironfoot at the threat given by the Ironhill Dwarves in wanting to decimate the Mirkwood elves "that" would have been the perfect filler as the explanation to why Legolas loathe having Gimli and vice versa at the Council of Imladris 60 years later.

Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Aranadhel; 02/Jan/2015 at 12:13 PM.

Tracker of Ithilien
    Well, the secret's out: Tauriel was put into the movie for the girls.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jackson
    Also you do have a lot of young girls seeing this film, and they should have somebody in there who they can empathize with. It was a very cold-blooded decision. Yes, OK, a female elf. And that was how it came about…
    'Cold-blooded' indeed!
    "the everlasting house the soul discovers
    is always another's"
    -- Charles Williams

Gwaihir
    I knew Tauriel was created for the girls and the women. And it was a joy really to see a female elf equal fighting next of the male elves. But the relations ships are a bit twisted. I would have liked it if they had put a female Dwarf in the movies as well and having a fancy on those two young Dwarves, Fili and Kili. But that's just me.

Fletcher of Lothlorien
    Aik - Could have put Dis (Thorin's sister) in the movie...

Arwen
    After the other two segments of The Hobbit film trilogy, I must admit that I went to watch the third segment, with excitement to revisit the enchanting and powerful scenery of Middle Earth depicted on screen. I can not fault Peter Jackson's attention to detail where it came to costume, music, props and language: each of which were demonstrated in meticulous detail which exhibited the variety of cultures that Tolkien conceived in his books.

It is a shame that Peter Jackson did not award the actual plot as much consideration. I did anticipate that there might have been metaphorical "bridges" constructed in this spate of the screenplay saga, because let's be honest here : Tolkien himself wrote The Hobbit in a somewhat less epic atmosphere than The LOTR trilogy and there are some things which do not carry over from one book to match perfectly with even another written by the Master himself. So Peter Jackson took it upon himself to try and align the two stories on camera, and surely he came up against similar difficulties as Christopher Tolkien confronted, when trying to interpret his late father's unfinished and often very much edited material to compose the HOME volumes we readers do so treasure. It was never going to be an easy task to make a light hearted children's tale work against the same dramatic backdrop he had composed for the legend of LOTR. So I am prepared to honour him with the understanding that this project would have been difficult for anyone who made a realistic attempt at such an ambitious goal.

That said, I dislike the much repeated justification of Tauriel and all that she does, by being branded as some feminist poster girl. Personally I think Evangeline Lily is a fair actress and she did portray an Elf rather than a Typical woman, in her voice, movements, etc. but just because there was a perceived need for a token girl power within the male dominated cast of canon characters does not in any way legitimise the need for her to fall in love with a Dwarf. Not only does it steal from the beautiful rarity that Legolas and Gimli's friendship awarded in LOTR, but it actually is somewhat insulting to suggest to a female audience that our "ideal heroine" is a female who falls in love and immediately allows her feelings and emotions to overcome all sense of decorum and priority for her people, her job, and the world as she understands it. I would think that in this day and age a strong female lead that speaks of proper empowerment and role model to girls watching the films would have been more so the plucky young daughters of Bard who (although equally unenvisaged by Tolkien) were more gutsy and still realistic than the Mary-Sue who was thrust into our faces as the star. Galadriel is an amazing example of an actual and canon source of female strength, and even she was shown to be escorted and supported by a small chorus of male protectors.

Tauriel gets her own theme music, falls in love with a major canon character, opposes her king, knowingly endangers her prince and heir and basically made me groan every time she made an appearance. The decision to have her absolutely mutilate the touching demonstration of Dwarf loyalty ( where Thorin's nephews lay down their lives to defend him to their very last breath) ... Well, it was not only unnecessary but also plain out rude to all fans who did not sign up for a romantic parody. The Hobbit is NOT a romance story. It is an adventure story. All attempts to include female characters are utterly self-sabotaged by this misrepresentation of what girls actually want to watch.

I shall forego dissecting the obvious elements of the ridiculous, such as the giant worms (who served no real purpose in the plot except to confuse lorists), and of course the fact that some orcs were felled by being hit in the chest by a big stone whilst others ( such as Bolg and Azog) seemed nigh indestructible. I shall even fail to properly chastise the utter CGI computer game that was Legolas in basically every action scene ! But I can not overlook the complete disregard shown to characters like Beorn and Rhadagast, who were either ignored, forgotten, or stripped of all worth barring a cheap joke.

The introduction of Beorn in the second film is a valid if not obvious indicator toward making good use of the character in the battle scenes of the third instalment. There is absolutely no reason that Peter Jackson could cite for basically overlooking a huge and dangerous skinchanger, except that they might have been compelled to edit out some of the unnecessary and overly indulgent Elf prince drivel in order to cater for Beorn to get some well owed screen time. In which case the film would have been improved twofold.

All sense of time and distance of events within chronology was utterly laughable to anyone that has more than a passing interest in Tolkien's legendarium. And the matter of trolls appearing at the Battle of *counts* at least seven or eight species of army .... More unnecessary bolstering of an event that would have been fine without any amendment.

I did love every moment that was actually focused on Bilbo. Remember him ? The protagonist ?! Martin Freeman persisted in the brilliance which he has managed throughout all three films. I was fond of Balin, Thorin, Thranduil and Smaug. All these characters were beyond reproach, unless it were the fact that the mighty attack of the actual dragon -remember him ? was foolishly overshadowed by unbelievable tripe like Bard breaking free of prison via the boat/Master rubbish ! The window was iron bars but the walls of the cell were wooden !!! Kick through the wall. You complete and utter moron !!

Ahem. Yes I did like those five depictions of canon characters. Although we know little of Balin in even the books, he was a believable and likeable Dwarf. Brave without being the stealer if all the show. If more of the film had focused on characters we could honestly associate with, like down to earth Bilbo out of his depth, and the people of Laketown forced to face their worst nightmares, without resorting to a cast of almost entirely Disney heroes/champions of the gods, then the films would have been a merrier watch indeed.
    Last edited by Ercassie; 04/Jan/2015 at 08:26 PM.

Fletcher of Lothlorien
    Cassie - Well said, dear friend... well said. Another thing which I would like to add concerns the Elves of Mirkwood. Don't get me wrong, totally LOVE their armours, weaponry etc but PJ hyped it up to make them nigh indestructible. No mention as to how many were present at Erebor (seemed like over 1o,ooo strong.) Reduced to a handful of them when they rallied at Dale. Sigh. The Palace Guards would have made an excellent presence and was totally surprised that it wasn't them that guarded Thranduil's tent.

Seriously having those Elves leapt over the Dwarf phalanx was pure foolishness and suicide. Having 2 lines of the Dwarf run up and face the Orcs was also utter rubbish. Why not just have the Elves, Dwarfs and Men defend the entrance to Erebor instead of making a mess of everything. Sorely wanted to see the 1000 Elf spearmen charge. Don't see the Elves archers shooting at the Orcs either.

New Soul
    the movie (and the entire Hobbit movie trilogy) was a lot of fun and (mostly) enjoyable. yes, some silly moments esp with elves doing some stupid things, BUT I have to disagree with comments about the wizards being mightier than the elves. first, Tolkien (to his credit or blame) never really told any of us exactly what elf magic was. very vague about what exactly elf magic was. also, i seem to recall that some of the elves that were her age would do battle with Sauron's old boss or at least did fight with balrogs and dragons. also, recall that a group of humans and elves (with no wizard anywhere in sight) laid siege to the Dark Tower WHEN SAURON HELD THE RING and defeated him, going so far as to take the ring as weregild for Sauron having slain a certain Prince's father and brother. Was Isildur mightier than Gandolf? I think you all are making this too much like a D & D adventure and getting too much into stats or something.....at any rate, we also read that the Wizards were not permitted to match Sauron "power for power" or something like that AND we are also told in the books that Galderial's phial that she gave Frodo was powerful enough to rebuke the spider queen. as for PJ and the blue wizards, he was not allowed to use their names basis the copyright of what he was allowed to use. the two blues being forgotten in the first movie was an absolutely hysterical inside joke imho....it worked perfectly because of course Gandolf knew their names, but why would it be unreasonable for him to forget them? When was the last time he met either of them, and when was the last time anyone even mentioned them? plus it ties in nicely with PJ not owning the rights. my biggest disappointment has really been the fan based nitpicking about these movies. I am (and continue to be) critical of PJ for his treatment of Denethor in RotK. Guess what? I got over it. it was a really good and fun movie. the same is true with the Hobbit films. There are far too many comic book heroics provided by the elves, and the nonsense of PJ waiting to release the real movie with the EE will not be something I miss (Is that just me? I feel that all six of the movies are absurd due to this...the te of rotk didn't have the scene with the fall of the white wizard). Alfred was beat into the ground (yes, it was funny the first couple of times, then it just got pointless) and the chase scene under the lonely mountain was a bit goofy, but had a good climax. However, think about what terrific moments we had in these movies. consider Riddles in the Dark....when I was 8 and read this book for the first time, the manner PJ translated it into film was perfection. Or Bilbo chatting with the beast. or the off book scene of the White Council fighting the Dark Lord. I mean, c'mon these are what us people growing up on Tolkien and D & D dreamed about seeing on the big screen. I can easily overlook a few scenes of nonsense and hi tech excess for this stuff. Not the greatest series ever made, but still very good and terribly enjoyable.

Tracker of Ithilien
    dcebula, you raise a couple of interesting points (though for future reference, using paragraph spacing makes a long text easier to read, which your arguments deserve).

The few instances we have of Elven 'magic' (which they would not call magic) suggest that it is used for the sake of beauty: the preservation of the Elf-realms in Middle-earth, or the creation of stories so powerful that they are almost indistinguishable from the real world. Magic, in Tolkien, is rarely a weapon of offence.

A counter-example to this would be Elrond harnessing the Bruinen river to drive away the Nazgul, but even then he merely uses the power of the water. Galadriel's phial is similar, I think: it contains the light of the Star of Earendil, which is the light of the Silmarils, which was created through the agency of the Valar and preserved by Feanor. The Elves can catch light but they cannot make it.

As to the battles with Morgoth: there was only one of those, and although the Elf in question (Fingolfin) was able to wound Morgoth seven times, he never really stood a chance of surviving. Fights with Balrogs and dragons are slightly more even but usually end in double death anyway. Sauron did not participate in the Battle of Dagorlad until he was forced to, and he was only defeated because he got separated from the Ring.

If you'd like to know how a magical battle between Sauron and a High Elf would turn out, all you need to do is reread the part in The Silmarillion where Finrod Felagund (Galadriel's oldest brother) battles Sauron in song. They go back and forth for a long time, but in the end Finrod is defeated. It is highly unlikely that Galadriel could single-handedly banish Sauron with a word of power.

It is true that The Hobbit is an enjoyable movie. The problem (if that's the right word) is that Tolkien is so much more than that.
    is always another's"
    -- Charles Williams

Historian of Lothlorien
    So, I saw the last Hobbit movie today out of desire to have it completed as a set and to have an opinion. As a movie - ignoring the source material completely - it was really good. Put the source material in at all, and... yeah, it kind of falls apart. There were several times me and one my friends were going "wait, I don't remember that". There were several times when I thought "wait, what?" Tauriel in and of herself just pisses me off. She ruins everything, and they ruined a great opportunity to kill her off. (I was looking forward to that.) All in all, it was a good movie - but it wasn't true to Tolkien's work as much as I would have liked.
    Signing off, Princess Gia
    Senior IR Debate DGM | Co-Threadrunner of OOT
    Epic Elf of Wilderland

New Soul
    Turgonian,

sorry about the spacing issue. will do better next time.

another point I thought of is that in the movie we do see the White Wizard assisting her. I think that should be kept in mind. He appears to be channeling power or something through her

Gardener of Lothlorien
    Well said Princess Gia, I agree with all you say, especially about Tauriel, she pisses me off, too. As a stand alone movie, it was good, but it wasn't Tolkien, at least not for me.

Tracker of Ithilien
    dcebula -- Not to worry!

I don't recall Saruman channeling power through Galadriel; maybe I missed it. What I can remember from the movie (but I've only seen it once) is that Saruman and the others were busy fighting the Ringwraiths.
    is always another's"
    -- Charles Williams

Banned
    CG, doesn't that make Legolas just a little bit better?

Chieftain of the Mark
    Reading your review Princess Gia I'm relieved someone else was looking forward to some Tauriel dying catharsis! When I watched the trailer I was vaguely intrigued by what seemed to be Thranduil killing her. Oh well the Hobbit movies seem doomed to be a disappointment. My major issue with BoFA was the lack of a sense of ending.

Scavenger of Mordor
    Now, don't take me to mean that I think children should never ever die in a story, that's ludicrous but the way they presented it was just... contrived in my opinion and for my taste. And as for showing that "War is not pretty" Considering the nature of orcs, I think we pretty much got that idea, and I'm not saying that only the bad guys should die, I was expecting elves and men and dwarves as well as I recall from the book... but children?

I mean yeah, civilian casualties but... I don't know what else to say really. I just don't think it was in fair taste for a hobbit movie, something that was supposed to be based on a kid's book.

Making the story longer, fine. I agree with some people that it does give the dwarves and Bar more character development, and we can learn more about the history of Middle-Earth since there won't be a Silmarillion adaptation (Thanks Christopher Tolkein), and yeah I like the inclusion of Tauriel since there should have been some female characters in the original story (Aside from the spiders maybe)... But then again it shouldn't have been this dark or depressing.

And while I'm glad the last film was the shortest, not alot happened really. All it was is during the middle and end of the movie was just a 1 hour fight scene, which was impressive and action packed... but that's pretty much it for the most part.

Then the eagles came because of Radagast, with Beorn for a short while, then after the battle is won we get nothing else, no breather from the depression that could have been at least 20 minutes longer, no resolution for Tauriel or Thranduil... really the last 10 minutes was just depressing, ominous, then this rushed last minute scene just telling the audience, "Yep, that's all folks!"

I mean I don't hate this movie trilogy, I mean it started out nice and fun, then it get's more gruesome and confusing, we have an unnecessary political thing with the Mayor involved, Smaug starts off awesome then becomes a Bond villain, Urgh... Very conflicting.

But that's just my opinion.

Craftsman of Minas Tirith
    Well, I LOVED it. It was hands-down my favourite of the three movies in the trilogy, and the first one that brought back all of those pleasant fangirly feelings that I had watching LotR. Because, let's face it, beards are HAWT and there were a lot of them in this film! But of course, it also had those wicked emotional scenes that sucked me in along with all the beardiness ;-)

Re: the two Blue wizards, of course the writers knew that Gandalf knew their names, but because they don't have the rights to use material from any books other than the Hobbit/LotR, they couldn't actually say their names on film. Hence Gandalf "forgot" their names rather than not mentioning them at all. Yes, it was a little bit clunky, but I thought it was sweet of them to mention the blue wizards rather than just leave them out.

The one thing I would have liked to see more of is Legolas getting really pissed off about his crush falling for a dwarf, to set up the hatred between himself and Gimli in FotR. I was expecting that to really come through in this movie but the film just never really got there - I'm hoping there's more of an explanation in the extended edition.

Overall, I would say this has to be the best movie I've seen in a fair few years. It inspired me to re-read the books again and to start looking up Nobody Dies Alternate Universe fan fiction and of course to get back on the Plaza!
    Old. Really old. Soooo old. So old that I lost my old signature.

Formerly known as Andúniel/Dúney.

New Soul
    the thing that drives me crazy about all of the lotr and hobbit movies is that there are essentially two different movies for each one, the te version and the 'real' movie of the ee. the ee's of auj and fotr didn't add massive amounts, but did make the movie better (auj much less so than fotr), whereas the second movie in each trilogy was greatly improved with the add on (can't recall all of the specific moments in TTT but there were several additions that added a lot to the movie and the DoS was an entirely different movie). now, in the te of Rotk, we did not get to see the fall of the white wizard, the mouth of sauron and a handful of other significant events (again can't recall them all) whereas in the ee version, we had these scenes and the ending (although very long) worked well for the more hard core fans. I am guessing that this will be the case. we need a proper ending for the white council, we need more of Radagast and Beorn, there needs to be some discussion (imho) of the necromancer (I mean did we even get a "hey man where the heck have you been?" from Bilbo) as well as some real closure for some of the dwarfs (who all is planning on going to Moria? what about the new dwarf king--was Dain even mentioned?). I could see an additional 30-45 minutes more of the movie.

New Soul
    I've seen it twice, and the second time I was actually blown away by it after being left with mixed feelings from the first viewing.

Martin Freeman again was just brilliant to watch. His performance during Thorin's death scene moved me immensely, in fact it seems like his lines after Thorin finally dies are improvised. Incredible.

New Soul
    Hello everybody. I'm newbie here... Just come to ask one question...

In this movie, around the time of 00:12:38, the jailed Gandalf hears the Lady Galadriel's voice who says: "You are not alone, Mithrandir, ilialidon, intoliton"

I just can't understand the last two words, which seems to be one of the languages that created by Talkin, the writer.

Can anybody tell me the meaning of these two words?

https://soundcloud.com/ali-t-26/ilialidon
    Last edited by lxdwrds; 14/Jan/2015 at 08:46 AM.